Phaidon – 500 Self-Portraits
Help & Advice?
Need some assistance? Got a question?
Call us on +44 (0)1273 945300 or click here to email us
Phaidon's 500 Self-Portraits compiles a broad collection of self-portraits from throughout recorded history, revised to include captivating contemporary works.
500 Self-Portraits was originally published more than 80 years ago and last revised in 2000, this wholly new edition for 2018 presents a selection of powerfully evocative works by many of the world's greatest artists - from Dürer and Rembrandt to Marina Abramović, David Hockney, and Cindy Sherman - working in painting, photography, sculpture, and performance. Flowing in a chronological sequence, with interspersed artist quotes, it features essays by Julian Bell and Liz Rideal. This is both a useful resource and a thoughtful celebration of a much-loved art form.
- Timely revised and expanded edition in tune with today's prolific self-image-making culture - each image is both a work of art and a study in psychology and self-perception
- Features 84 new artists including 31 artworks made since the first edition in 2000
- Showcases the evolution of the self-portrait through time, as well as creating unexpected and interesting juxtapositions
- Phaidon's original edition has sold almost 125,000 copies worldwide
- Affordable and compact, with a sleek mirrored foil cover, this is the perfect gift for anyone who is curious about art, artists, and their history
185 x 123 mm, 7 1/4 x 4 7/8 in
500 colour illustrations