Having previously worked in the automobile industry, George Carwardine turned his mind to other things working from a studio in his back garden. He had become fascinated with the concept of spring based mechanisms allowing weighted objects to be moved freely into any position where they remain balanced. In 1932 he filed a patent that is clearly identifiable as the first Anglepoise lamp using 4 springs. The new product was launched at the British Industries Fair in Birmingham in 1934.
It was later decided that the Anglepoise 4 spring design was too industrial for the domestic market so Carwardine worked alongside the manufacturers and came up with the 3 spring version, known as the 1227.